During your first consultation, Dr Barnouti will take your full medical history, examine you and discuss your concerns and goals in detail. This will allow him to assess if you are a suitable candidate for surgery.
Your medical history is very important and includes:
- Pregnancy including future family planning, previous pregnancies and their effects on the abdomen;
- Previous surgical procedures including laparoscopic procedures;
- Weight gain and loss;
- History of medical problems such as diabetes;
- Smoking – Please note, smokers are advised to stop smoking two weeks before the surgery to promote healing and encourage overall wellbeing.
A physical examination will take place to assess:
- Existing scars;
- Abdominal hernias;
- Strength of the abdominal wall;
- Abdominal muscle separation (also known as divarication of recti);
- The amount, quality, and elasticity of the abdominal wall skin.
Understanding your aesthetic goals is critical and you will be able to discuss these with Dr Barnouti. He will explain technical considerations including contour corrections and the ideal position of scars for minimal visibility after the surgery.
Your scar will vary depending on how tight the closure is and your natural healing abilities. He pays exceptional attention in placing the scar as low as possible in the pubic area so it will be hidden by clothing.
He will also implement techniques such as progressive tension and superficial facial system to improve on the quality of scaring and minimise it. For most patients, once fully healed, the scar looks like a fine white line.
If appropriate, he will discuss the option of a body lift to reduce excess tissue around the hips and back. This contours the whole torso, not just the abdomen. However, a body lift is a significant operation with longer recovery time and must be approached with special consideration for patient safety. He will explain this in more detail during your consultation if appropriate.
Finally, Dr Barnouti will explain whether a full tummy tuck, a mini tummy tuck or a full body lift is the best solution for you. He will also advise you on what results you can expect.